Police in Meridian, Idaho have warned motorists that starting their cars and leaving them idling before taking their morning drive, could have serious unintended effects, which may not outweigh the lovely feeling of getting into a warm car.
They issued a warning that should motorists be tempted to warm their cars before they head to school or work, certain factors should be taken into consideration. Cars parked inside a garage should receive serious reconsideration as the running car can fill up the garage with the deadly gas, carbon monoxide, when it is left running for a long period, which can even seep into the house.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas which leads to nausea, dizziness, headache and death within minutes of high level exposure. Anyone who suspects they could be experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning should call 911 right away.
Deputy Chief Tracy Basterrechea said: “”Starting vehicles inside a garage is a step in many people’s morning routines, but we want our citizens to be safe about it. Opening the garage door prior to turning the ignition on is a quick and easy way to prevent harmful gasses from filling the garage and home.”
Police also urged people to never leave unattended children in a car with the engine running and that driving with the window slightly open would increase airflow when driving in cold weather.
Cars in garages aren’t the only ones at risk as running an unattended car on the street or in the driveway puts the owner at risk of receiving a ticket or even having their car stolen.